Journeyman Equipment Technician
Company: Western States CAT
Location: Twin Falls
Posted on: June 8, 2021
SUCCESS AT WESTERN STATES: Western State's culture is based on
passion for our Vision, Mission, and VALUES. We are fiercely
committed to SAFETY and sending every employee, safely home, every
day. We strive for EXCELLENCE in all we do and are proud to be a
"play to win" organization. We act with INTEGRITY in each and every
decision we make. Our People and TEAMWORK drive a fun and engaging
culture. We are ACCOUNTABLE as individuals and as an
JOB SUMMARY: The Journeyman Equipment Technician is responsible
for independent diagnosis, failure analysis, and repair of
Caterpillar and allied equipment. Duties include but not limited to
removing, repairing, assembling, installing according to
manufacturer specifications and technician appropriate
- Actively cares, promotes, manages, and advocates safety at
Western States. As a team member in the organization, it is
critical to ensure all employees, vendors, and clients have a safe
work environment while adhering to all applicable safety policies,
procedures and standards.
- Ability to complete Job Hazard Analysis (JHA's) prior to any
job-related tasks according to WSECO's policy and standards.
- Maintains clean/clutter free personal work areas to ensure safe
environment for all WSECO employees.
- Adhering to required personal protective equipment (PPE) as
identified in safety policy.
Diagnosis, Troubleshooting, and Repair
- Demonstrates troubleshooting skills on various engine and
- Skill level appropriate testing while comparing data to
specifications to determine if the system is working as
- Repairs and diagnoses machine failures according to WSECO's
time requirement guidelines.
- Performs tasks independently, including inspections and
troubleshooting, when scheduled for required preventative
Engines and Powertrain
- Completes engine preventative maintenance and inspects/repairs
internal engine components to include common rail fuel systems, and
- Troubleshoots and repairs powertrain components.
- Demonstrates understanding of various brake systems and ability
to repair when required.
Electrical, Hydraulics, HVAC, and Cab
- Understands, tests, and repairs complex electrical systems.
Includes but is not limited to Deutsch and Ampseal Connectors,
6/12/24 battery voltage systems, and ability to repair/replace
varies harness types.
- Troubleshoot and service HVAC systems to include evacuating,
recharging, and replacing components when required.
- Performs general mechanical/electrical cab functions pertaining
to operator interfaces.
- Performs general tasks in troubleshooting and repair of various
frame and suspension systems including tracks, track pads, drive
sprockets, and idlers.
- Identifies undercarriage components and perform track sag
- Participates in continued education and training initiatives as
outlined in the Western States Equipment Technician Career
Development Plan. (TCDP)
- Utilizes service manuals (STW, SIS and parts books) to address
technical issues and perform all required tasks within technician
level abilities, in accordance to printed procedures.
- Utilizes parts reusability guidelines.
- Completes actual service reports for files and warranty
purposes using STW for timely work order closing.
- Addresses all inquiries in a prompt and friendly manner in an
effort to meet or exceed internal/external client
- Performs other duties as assigned while developing a mindset
for technician productivity.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to navigate Microsoft products.
- Ability to obtain job related certifications for any specialty
equipment such as but not limited to forklifts, rigging and
overhead cranes, etc.
- General knowledge of manufacturer specific software. (SIS, ET,
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships
- Consistent attendance and timeliness with the ability to work
overtime with limited notice.
- Working within and promoting Western States' purpose, vision
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proof of high school diploma or General Education Degree
- Associates degree in diesel technology, trade school diploma,
- Minimum of three years equivalent experience in a Caterpillar
or similar environment with hydraulic, engine and powertrain
- Valid driver's license and acceptable driving record
- Appropriate technician level tooling required.
- Must be able to communicate (speak, read, comprehend, write in
- Ability to stand for long periods of time along with walking,
sitting, repetitive climbing stairs, reaching (including but not
limited to above-shoulder reaching), repetitive bending, stooping,
pushing, pulling, leaning and twisting.
- Exposure to extreme temperatures and environment.
- Ability to lift up to 60 lbs. in accordance with Western
States' Lifting Policy to include amount and approach.
- Must be able to meet all safety requirements for applicable
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the
general nature and level of work being performed by employees
assigned to this classification. It is not intended be an
exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills
required of employees in this classification.
Keywords: Western States CAT, Twin Falls , Journeyman Equipment Technician, Other , Twin Falls, Idaho
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!